Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Falling (Candira and Sinner)

Candira

Singularity
Cora was not having a great day. First, she'd spilled coffee on her sweater and had to change, then her car had some troubles starting and she was running late for work. When she got to work, and got settled in, she found that her computer had somehow gotten a virus and erased a large chunk of her work. Work which had a deadline of TODAY. Though her work was backed up, it was an earlier draft and she'd had to do what had taken her three days of research in about two hours.

Sighing, she realized that in her rush to change, she'd left her lunch at home, and at lunch, she was forced to deal with a bitchy secretary who was under the impression that Cora was having an affair with the department head. Of course, no matter how much she denied the rumor, it continued to spread and gain detail, and apparently, credibility. If there were a day for Murphy's law to be in effect, it certainly had to be today. The only thing she was missing was her house burning down, and she didn't even want to think of that.

The sad part of all of this, was that Cora was great at her job--she was a fact checker for a major paper--one of the best! The rumor that she was sleeping with the department head, however, made her success seem hollow and false. On top of all the other stress of the day, she was ready to cry by noon. She grabbed her purse and headed out to get her lunch from a nearby cafe--hoping some comfort food would lift her spirits. She was waiting at the crosswalk for the light to change when she was shoved from behind into the turning lane, where a car was currently speeding toward her. The driver slammed on his breaks, leaning on the horn as she tried desperately to regain her balance and get out of the way, but it was hard to get back to the curb, and crossing the street would have been suicide at this point.

Casriel stood calmly as he walked peacefully through the Elysium fields allowing the serenity to wash over him and fill him with pleasure and joy. He tilted his head as he heard a faint whisper waft through the air, he could hear the plea for help. It tugged at his heart the pain in the cries he heard, they were tearing his serenity apart and distracting him from the peace of his afterlife. He turned his gaze towards the planet focusing on where the cry was coming from. It was one of the heart and it required immediate action. He saw the young woman who's turmoil he was channeling and saw the trouble she was in. He quickly moved himself to the mortal plane making sure to keep himself undetected he manifested a body for himself and quickly reached out and pulled her from in front of the vehicle.

At a simple touch he saw everything in her life in an instant her past present and future flashing in front of his eyes. Immediately upon seeing it all he forgot everything of her future as his powers slightly diminished. He stood there looking down at her his body in this world standing at about six and a half feet tall his long blonde hair falling in front of his face his bright blue eyes cast down at her. He held her gently as he gazed into her face seeing the first human face he had seen in near a thousand years. "are you ok Cora?" he asked not realizing he spoke her name without her having to tell him.

Cora had been frozen in fear when a hand came out of nowhere, pulling her back to the curb. For a moment, she wasn't sure what had happened, her whole body trembling, heart racing as she struggled to get a grip on reality. She turned to look at her savior, frightened green eyes searching his face through trendy rectangular glasses. He was easily the most beautiful man she'd ever seen in her life--and though that may have been the extreme gratitude adding bias, she felt certain it wasn't only that. Nor was it the fact that she felt so safe in his arms.

She was sure she looked a mess, though, considering her latest ordeal. A lock of her auburn hair had come undone from the clip she wore it in, twisted up today. She knew she was still pale from the fear...What had just happened? These thoughts raced through her head in mere seconds, her name cutting through it all. "I...how did you know my name?" she asked, a bit confused. And then she remembered that he'd just saved her life and her knees weakened a bit. "I'm alright, thank you," she said, watching him.

Now that she was sure she wasn't in cardiac arrest--though her heartbeat was anything but calm--Cora took a moment to really take in the features of the man who'd saved her. He was so tall! Much taller than she was at her mere five feet nine inches. Her normally pretty eyes seemed on the verge of tears, and she found herself sinking slowly toward her knees. "Thank you," she murmured, shaking everywhere. She was a pretty girl--a curvy body dressed professionally in a pair of grey slacks that made her legs seem even longer, a black camisole under a white sweater, and comfy flats. But as it was, she felt out of sorts and very much shaken.

Leaving her alone in such a fragile state might be the end of her.

Casriel caught as he heard her question not knowing how to answer it he ignored that she had even asked. "my pleasure milady" he said smiling at her as he helped her back away from the road. He looked in her eyes seeing the turmoil held within. He lifted a hand gently placing a finger on her forehead using his powers to help her calm herself down. Immediately regretting it though as he realized things didn't just happen like that in this age. He mentally criticized himself for making such a rookie mistake in the world of mortals. He quickly used his mind to pull small bits of information on the modern world from the people around them as he set her down on a bench crouching down in front of her. He glanced around the street spying what he was looking for he smiled. "would you like to join me for a cup of coffee?' he asked as he turned his piercing blue gaze to lock with hers. As he stared into her eyes his shimmered from blue to an almost liquid silver color before he caught himself and they changed back. As he looked at her Casriel understood why they had been warned to stay out of the human realm. It was as though the people were becoming more beautiful and like the angels everyday. At least that's what the woman in front of him led him to believe.

He stood up offering his hand to her as he thought about how he would do his job now of playing guardian angel to the young woman before him. He hadn't thought about the repercussions his actions might have when he saved her. Her inner turmoil had been to strong in it's calling for him to ignore it. Something about her caused him to remember some part of his life before he had been raised among the chosen. He couldn't pinpoint it exactly but he hoped that maybe if he watched after her for awhile and kept her out from harms way he would be able to see what it was about her that had caused the calling to be so strong.

Grateful, Cora smiled up at the man as he got her to a bench and set her down. Her hands were still shaking, and her heart was still racing a bit, but oddly, the instant his hand was on her forehead, she started to feel better. In a moment, she was calm again, though adrenaline was still shooting through her body. It was nice that he hadn't just left her there by herself--the poor girl was vulnerable enough as it was.

When he spoke again, something about his voice put her at ease and she smiled softly. "Sure. Coffee would be good. I should be offering to buy for you. After all, you just saved my life," she said. His eyes were entrancing, almost as though they were changing colors. But it must have been just a trick of the light. When he stood, she took his hand, following suit. For a long moment she just looked at him...until she realized she was still holding his hand. "I'm sorry. I'm still a little shaken. Say, I never did get your name. I'd like to thank you properly."

She wondered briefly if he knew her name because they worked together...but it seemed like she'd remember seeing someone like him around the office. Then again, with all the bad things that had been happening to her lately, she had to wonder if maybe she'd been missing out on some of the nicer employees at work. It could be that she'd just been so focused on her own problems...Yes, that must be it. He could even be a new reporter! Well, that would explain it. Of course, he would know her name. She was just preoccupied lately.

As she spoke he quickly ran through a couple things in his mind trying to think of the best possible words for him to use to put her at ease and help her calm from the situation that had just happened. When he finally spoke he did so in a gentle tone "please allow me to treat you think of it as a thank you for being able to save a damsel in distress. It's not every day a man finds himself in a position to save a beautiful woman" he spoke with a smile on his lips and warmth in his eyes. He began walking with her down the street towards the coffee stand.

As she mentioned not knowing his name he almost gave her his real name before catching himself realizing the name was very uncommon in this day and age he decided on giving her a more common name instead. "I'm Alexander, Alexander Davis. I actually just started working at the same paper. Well actually I technically start tomorrow I was just in today to work out some final details" he said hoping he could manage to work his way into the paper to make his cover more real and keep him close so he could keep an eye on her.

She smiled, glad that he wasn't making a huge deal out of what had just happened. Playing it off like it was nothing was just the thing she needed right now--a sense that her life hadn't just nearly ended and that everything was fine because she was safe now. His line about saving damsels caught her a little off guard, though. "Well, I'd have preferred not being a damsel in the first place, but I will take that hidden compliment," she smiled and let him guide her, her body still a little shaky and slightly robotic. It would ware off once she had a few moments. Coffee with a stranger wasn't a bad thing--and she was pretty sure they sold bagels there. If it was good enough for breakfast, why not have one for lunch?

Rather than argue about letting him treat her, she let it go, deciding that it would be best to let him have his way. After all, he had just saved her from an early grave. Or at the very least a serious stay in the hospital. Once she got his name she smiled at him, surprised that she had guessed correctly and he was starting work at the paper. "That's great. Congratulations on your job, Alex. I hope you don't mind if I call you that. And thank you again, so very much, for pulling me out of the way." She still felt a little teary and maybe a little sick to her stomach, but she was coming around.

"everyone ends up a damsel at some time or another" he said with a gentle laugh that sounded through the air like a soft music. He stopped in front of the small cafe and opened the door holding it for her to enter before stepping in after her. "thank you I suspect I will enjoy it very much' he said as he smiled at her as they stood in line 'it was my pleasure really I couldn't rightly stand by and watch as it happened much as one shouldn't stand by and watch a beautiful flower get trampled by a bumbling fool". He found himself lost in her eyes as he looked down at her, so much so that someone had to nudge him from behind to point out that the line had moved and they were next to order. He looked at the young girl behind the counter with a smile as he ordered something for himself and Cora's favorite drink and a bagel before catching himself that he shouldn't have that knowledge.

Cora smiled at him, oddly comforted by his laugh. Now that the shock was starting to wear off, she could really appreciate how handsome he was. "I guess you're right," she said with a smile, though it was hard to imagine him as a damsel. Oh well, maybe if he was working at the paper she could see that side of him. As he opened the door for her, she chuckled and stepped inside with a cheery "Thanks," and took in the sights and smells off the place. She would have to come here a little more often. When he joined her in line, she blushed. He kept giving her those compliments.

She wasn't that pretty, was she? Then again, with the day she'd been having, she'd take those compliments and store them. She didn't want to say thank you for the millionth time so she smiled and shrugged. "Well, I'm glad you appreciate nature then." There, that was better. She smiled and found herself a little lost with him as well. He was a mysterious man, but kind--so far, at least--and handsome. There was just some quality he had that struck her as noble. It was nice.

And then it was their turn to order so she stepped up, mulling over the choices before she heard him order her favorite. "Hey, wow. Did you know you just ordered my favorite stuff? How did you guess I liked frozen cappuccinos and everything bagels? Or was that for you too?" she asked with a laugh. Well, it was all coincidence that he'd saved her, that he'd known her name, and that he'd guessed her food perfectly, but they were all good things, so she decided to take them in stride. After all, if he was a bad guy, he wouldn't have saved her, and he wouldn't have taken her here.

He smiled at her comment about his appreciating nature. She had no idea just how much he appreciated it, the sights, the sounds, the smells. He had spent most of his eternity wandering the gardens just enjoying the peacefulness he felt there. He noticed her blush and found himself feeling a sudden urge to make her do it more often. As she mentioned his ordering for her he felt himself blush "Well I um' he quickly tried to think of some sort of excuse 'I overheard someone say something well I was in for my meeting". He hoped she would accept his lie not wanting to have to try and explain how he knew. He couldn't just tell her he could hear almost every thought she had. She'd think he was a lunatic, or worse the knowledge would cause her to go insane. He had to keep as much information about himself a secret as he possibly could. Something that could prove to be difficult considering how easily being around her relaxed him and cause him to be less cautious.

As the worker handed them their purchase he took his drink and moved away from the counter to sit at a table. He took a sip of the drink he had ordered on a whim unsure of what to think of it. At first he was caught by surprise at the overwhelming heat of it before finally the flavor hit him and he was almost floored. Mortals truly were loved by the gods if they had been able to develop something so delicious. He had been born to the world of angels so he had never truly experienced any of the pleasures of the mortal world.

Her brows raised in surprise, she took her drink and bagel. "Oh, well I'm glad you ordered them. They are my favorites," she said with a smile. She shrugged it off, figuring that she should just go with it. She sat down with him, opening up her bagel to spread on some cream cheese and took a sip of her iced drink. Perfection. Suddenly everything was right with the world again. She caught the look on his face when he took a drink and smiled. "Good? Is it your first time trying that one?" she asked, tilting her head.

Her green eyes stayed on his face as she spread the cream cheese evenly over the bagel. It wasn't often she met someone so attractive and so nice at the same time. And he seemed to be really happy about meeting her. And he was working at the same paper. It must have been true that when God shut one door, he opened another.

He smiled at her "I live to please" he said softly. He blushed though as she continued "um yeah I haven't really been much of a coffee guy. Usually I only have um tea" he set his drink down and looked deep into her eyes. "so um how do you like working at the paper?" he asked unsure of what to talk about. He hoped that by getting to know her a little better he could keep her safe.

"Well, if you're ordering for the first time, I'm glad you're enjoying the things you got." She smiled and sipped at her own order, enjoying it immensely, relaxing. He had such beautiful eyes...she would have gotten lost in them if not for his question about her work. "Mmm, I love working here. Of course, it's not always glamorous or appreciated, but I enjoy my contributions to the paper. Accuracy is a great thing," she said with a smile. "So what will you be doing there once you get settled in?" she asked, hoping he might be willing to tell her.

"me too" he mumbled quietly as he took another sip trying not to look like a fool as he did so. "people always seem to overlook the little things that are truly the most important' he said returning her smile 'well um for now i'll be starting off in the mail room basically is what they said. Making copies fetching stuff, it seems i'm to be a gopher".

"Aww, I bet you'd be a cute one," she teased, chuckling. "Well, I think it's great. You'll have to pop up from the mail room once in a while. Maybe we can grab lunch together sometime." And that was a bit forward for her, but it wasn't necessarily a date--just a friendly outing. "That is, if you have time. But it'd be nice to see a friendly face around. There've been some ugly rumors going around as of late." The smile she'd had faded ever so slightly. "But, I guess that comes along with success now and then, right? At least for women." She shrugged and took another sip of coffee, avoiding eye contact.

He smiled at her "well a cute gopher you say eh? i think i could live with that. I think a lunch or two could definitely good." He nodded at her words "its sad that people have to spread rumors to make them feel better about why someone else is doing better"

His comment about rumors got him eye-contact again and a softer smile. "Thank you for that. I think that might be the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a while now."

She took another sip of her coffee and dug into her bagel, glad for the sustenance. It was even nicer to know that he would like to spend time with her again. Alex seemed like a nice guy--and he had some pretty spot-on instincts when it came to people. Or at least when it came to her.

"Listen, I know you'd never ask for anything in return for what you did today, but if you ever need me, please let me know. I'd be happy to help any way I could."

He smiled at her words "well then I guess I now know what I have to top to say the nicest thing ever again. I've always found it interesting to try and one up oneself. Good for self improvement." He watched her with her bagel actually feeling thankful that the mission wasn't over to quickly. When she mentioned she could help it caused him to realize he didn't have a place to live in this realm. "um well there is one thing' he said feeling heat rise in his cheeks 'I only very recently moved out here so as of yet I don't actually have a place to stay. Do you know of any cheap housing in the area?" He asked for cheap because though he could manifest most anything he needed it would not do for him to seem rich and try to pretend to be at the bottom of the corporate ladder.

"Oh, so you're living in a hotel right now? Well, I could see how that would be inconvenient. Tell you what, why don't you stay with me while you look for a place? I have a guest room and I have a crawl space where you can store at least some of your stuff if you don't already have a unit, for it," she said with a smile. The idea of being able to do this for him was incredibly appealing to her.

"Otherwise, I could help you find a place, if you want me to. I know a couple of good apartments that don't charge a lot. I don't know if there are openings now, but I could give you the numbers if you want." She finished up her bagel and found herself a bit more relaxed after having some food in her, after talking to someone who was so nice to her, after making a connection with someone who seemed genuinely good.

Plus, there was the fact that he was a handsome man who'd just saved her life and seemed to enjoy spending time with her. The longer she spent with Alex, the less she wanted to spend time without him at work.

He smiled at her "I would accept your offer if it is sincere. It may make learning the trade more simple for me to be able to ask you questions and get your input once in awhile when I need it. I would also be willing to help you with anything you may need done around your house" he liked the idea of living with her. It would make keeping an eye on her and keeping her safe far more simple. He didn't even take a moment to think about the fact that this wasn't something that most people would do for someone they just met and hardly knew. He found himself not wanting to leave her side and not just because his mission said that was what he had to do.

The idea of him helping her with things around her house had never occurred to her. She'd really made the offer in a spur of the moment spirit. But now that he'd accepted, the idea of him helping her out was pretty appealing, too. It was probably a testament to her old habit of reading romance novels that she imagined him in a tool belt, fixing something for her. Immediately, though, she put that thought away for another time. Not that it would really be appropriate at another time. Whatever.

"Of course you can stay. It's nothing special, but you're welcome to it. I would just expect you to help me keep my house clean and pitch in for groceries while you're living there." It seemed pretty fair. Besides, having someone around the house would be fun. Yes, this would work. "Anyway, I'm sure you'd need a day to get your stuff together and whatnot, so if you want to, I could pick you up tomorrow? Or whenever you need me to." She shrugged and finished off her bagel and coffee, waiting for him to answer her.

He caught the thought as it passed through her mind a smile playing it's way onto his lips as he wondered how exactly she'd react to that sight. He shook his head gently as he realized that he had been spacing out having to put in effort to recall what she had just said. "I'm more then willing to pull my own weight' he said as he smiled gently blushing slightly 'actually um when I moved out here all i had is what was on my back. There was a fire that took everything but what I had on me". He hoped his excuse would be good enough that she wouldn't question the fact that he really didn't have any belongings other then what he had on his persons. "so moving stuff will be rather quick I do it everytime i take a step" he said with a gentle laugh hoping she wouldn't feel pity for him having nothing 'so if you'd like we can head there once we leave here". He wondered what it would be like to live with a human woman, he'd always held an interest in humanity and now he was getting a chance to study one up close in the same house.

"Oh! I'm so sorry to hear that!" It was a surprise to learn that her savior was now homeless. But he wasn't destitute, and he did have a job. All wasn't lost for him. The fact that he was so gung-ho about life after all his misfortune got her to thinking that perhaps it would be good to spend some time in his company. "Well I don't have a lot of time for my lunch break, but I'm off at three today if you want to meet me then." She smiled and finished off her iced coffee, glad to have met Alex.

She glanced at her watch and saw, much to her dismay, that she had to be getting back. "I have to tell you, though. I really do admire the way you picked yourself after all that. I think you and I will be good for each other." She smiled a bright smile and shook his hand. "If you wait for me in the lobby at three, I'll take you home with me, okay? If you need anything else, we can stop on the way." With that, she shouldered her purse, took a deep breath and held out her hand, hoping to shake his before she left back to work.

"it's fine I never had much stuff anyway anything that didn't go down in flames i sold so I could move out here there wasn't anything too important." he spoke gently as he finished his coffee. He shook her hand and smiled as he watched her get her stuff together "three it is I'll see you then" he stood as she walked away. He glanced at a clock and wondered what he would do. He thought now would be the best time to make sure he actually had a job there so after giving her a moments head start he walked to the building to put himself onto their work force.

When Cora got back to her department she was reminded of her situation with a note left on her desk. In it, the author detailed how she was a slut and had slept her way up the ranks. It also had a few choice insults for her, with what she counted as 10 misspelled words and a good 30 grammatical errors. Upon first seeing and reading the note, the sinking feeling in her stomach was a bit of anxiety and shame--for something she didn't do. Once that sank in, the sinking in her stomach stopped and changed to fiery anger spreading through her body. And once she caught the errors, amusement worked itself in and she calmed herself enough to throw the note into the shredder and start typing a memo for the staff bulletin board:

To whom it may concern,

Thank you so much for the note you left on my desk today. I needed a pick-me-up after the day I've been having. I enjoyed your use of pure fiction, and the fact that you were realistic enough in your style to include 10 misspelled words, 30 grammatical errors, and enough curse words to make me wonder if you kiss your mother with that mouth. I appreciate that you went through so much trouble to portray an ignorant, jealous, and pathetic individual with a penchant for skulking around behind anonymity. I don't know who you are, but you've got a future in comedy, friend.

Warm regards,
Cora Rogers

That task complete, the fact checker printed it, posted it on the board, and got back to her work load. Feeling rather cheery about her response to the note, she moved through her assignments rather quickly. When three o'clock came around she was only waiting on three more sources to call in with confirmations. She had her calls forwarded to her cell, logged off for the day, and then got ready to go home. It was then that she remembered Alex would be coming with her. Smiling at the thought of having someone sympathetic to talk to (that wasn't her mother), Cora headed to the lobby of the building.

She came to the center of the large room and slipped her purse over her shoulder, watching and waiting for the man who'd saved her life just this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom