Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Interest Check - Medieval Fantasy RP

Night Walker

Planetoid
thethreekingdomsinteres.jpg

NEW PLAYERS ALWAYS WELCOME!

Related Forums
Encyclopaedia
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Characters

---------------------------

The game takes place in a land divided between three human kingdoms: Etana to the north, Ferazi to the east, and Vaskaan to the south. Around these three kingdoms is an expansive wilderness full of all forms of wild creatures and magical beings. The Great Green, a massive forest, west of Ferazi is home to various Elves and nature spirits. The war torn wasteland between Etana and Vaskaan, called the Dead Plains, holds restless spirits and magically created monsters left over from generations of conflict.

Map of the Three Kingdoms
fantasykingdomsmap.jpg

(info on the Human kingdoms moved to the Encyclopaedia)​

Elves
There are known to be three city-states in The Great Green, each belonging to a different race of Elves. The exact location of these places remains a mystery to humans.

Muinyana
- Home of the White Elves (AKA Light Elves)
- Only Elves to have any affiliation with Humans
- Muinyana and Vaskaan have a peace treaty that dates back to the early days of the Vaskaan - Etana wars
- White Elves tend to have hair in shades of blonde, white, and silver with pale complexions

Calenost
- Home of the Green Elves (AKA Wood Elves)
- Green Elves tend to have hair in shades similar to leaves, and skin the colour of bark

Loeniaun
- Home of the Blue Elves (AKA Water Elves)
- Located near the coast in a large swamp section of The Great Green called The Mire.
- Water Elves tend to have both hair and skin that are shades of blue or green, they also have slightly webbed hands and feet

Vaskaan Mountains
The Vaskaan Mountains create an all but impassable barrier on the western edge of the land. Only one path leads through it: Eskerâ??s Folly. The pass was made by the first Archmage of Etana, and the kingdom has kept tight control of it ever since. Vaskaan is given no access to it, and traders from Ferazi must pay a steep tax for the privilege as it is the only road to the western lands. Occasionally, travellers in the pass are attacked by wild animals or bands of Dwarves.

Slavery
Slavery exists in all three kingdoms to various extents. The type of slave one is likely to see varies the most. Elves are very popular for their exotic beauty and artistic skill. Dwarves are great smiths and naturally skilled with their hands. Human slaves are by far the most common.

Vaskaan
- Light Elf slavery prohibited by the peace agreement with Muinyana
- Selling of slaves prohibited, use of slaves is not; therefore, most slaves come from Ferazi
- If caught, Etana agents usually placed into slavery
- Some slaves are born slaves. A number of human slaves in Vaskaan are descendents of Etana war prisoners

Etana
- Currently the only source for Dwarf slaves
- Citizens can become slaves as punishment for committing crimes
- Vaskaan prisoners occasionally made slaves, but far more often are just killed unless they are someone who could be ransomed off

Ferazi
- People placed into slavery as punishment for unpaid debts is very common
- Biggest slave market in all of kingdom by far is in Ferazi capitol: Seranto
- Slave catching and trading considered a major industry
- Stealing is also punishable by being made a slave
- Slaves can buy their freedom if they are able to amass enough wealth somehow

Nature Spirits
Nature spirits abound in The Great Green. Also called Nymphs, these embodiments of the natural world donâ??t tend to survive long if removed from their homes. Slavers often chase Nymphs thinking they are Elves as they share similar physical traits.

Dryads
- Nymphs who dwell in trees and other plants
- Appearance tends to take on traits of the host plant
- Closely associated with Wood Elves

Naiads
- Nymphs who dwell in lakes, ponds, and streams
- Appearance similar to pond they dwell in (bluish-greenish skin, hair similar to water plants, etc.)
- Closely associated with Water Elves

I'd be in, but you'd get more people willing to commit their interest if you gave us all the details instead of an ultimatum.

I'm very sorry, I wasn't trying to sound like an ultimatum :-( I just wanted to keep things simple and very general to see if anyone liked the idea at all.

I'll post more info soon. I just need to finish some work and find where I put the paper with my ideas on it.

There, edit done, got much more info now. Sorry again if it sounded a bit unfriendly before, I hope this helps.

Thank you, I apologize myself. I was just trying to offer friendly advice and you have exceeded expectations good sir.

Was thinking about it and realized that maybe there was another point I could clarify. This world is just a setting, not a full story. I intend this world to be able to see a lot of different storylines involving various characters that, ideally, would overlap at various points.

New info, this time it's all about magic :)

Touched​
People born with innate magical ability are said to be “touched” and some may refer to them as Sorcerers or Sorceresses, especially if they decide to develop their skills on their own instead of receive formal training. Most touched eventually find their way to one of the schools of magic. If one is touched, the magical ability usually starts to manifest during childhood, but there have been some cases of a person’s gifts not appearing until well into their adult life.

----------------------------

Schools of Magic​
There are four major magic colleges amoung the three kingdoms. Most mages hail from one of these places, although smaller schools and private study are not uncommon (especially in Etana)

Vaskaan​
Royal Vaskaan Academy of the Holy Arts (The Ivory Tower)
- Oldest magic school in all the three kingdoms
- Students must first be accepted into the church (a lifetime commitment)
- Very formal and structured, students must pick a speciality after the first year of studies and are not allowed to practise any other school of magic from there on
- Courses in destructive magic very secretive and practitioners are segregated from rest of student body. This field has a very limited enrolment and applicants are closely screened by a panel of thirteen senior pontiffs from various disciplines.
- Possible majors for students include: Clerics (dedicated healers, useless in a fight, wonderful to have after a fight), Missionaries (field medics and military support, some combat training), Paladins (holy warriors, aggressive – even at times fanatical – fighters), Templars (dedicated guardians of Vaskaan, Paladins push the line, Templars hold it at all costs), and Shadow Keepers (practitioners of purely aggressive/destructive magic)
- Curriculums often include classes in non-magical disciplines that compliment the chosen path: medicinal herb gathering and use for Missionaries and Clerics, fencing for Paladins and Templars, etc.
- Due to their dedicated and narrow focus, graduates tend to be very good at what they do, but lack a great diversity in their abilities

Etana​
Kassan Magic Guild (The Spire)
- Founded by Nordrik Etan shortly before becoming king
- Major point of conflict between Etana & Vaskaan
- Oldest magic school in Etana
- Open to anyone willing to learn, long as they are Etanan
- School houses students for the entirety of their training
- Although there is no requirement to stay after graduation, almost all graduates remain at The Spire because of its extensive research and practise facilities. Most teach classes or become tutors to earn their keep
- Students here can be described as jacks of all trades, masters of none: the degree of specialization is up to the student. Some become fixated on a single skill and can grow to be as powerful at it as any Vaskaan mage, but most find it far more interesting, and practical, to learn many different fields

Magewood Academy for the Gifted
- Founded by Archmage Esker Firanta sometime after he left Kassan, actual date unknown
- Private magic college for only the most skilled pupils
- Applicants must past entrance exams of such difficulty, rumours say that failure results in swift and horrible death
- Since its creation, a handful of students of legendary quality have been invited to attend personally by the Archmage (headmaster), allowing them to bypass the entrance exams
- Only students and staff allowed on premises, even emissaries from the king/queen are not allowed past the gates.
- If you want to learn how to bring terror and destruction, this is the place. Graduates have been known to be adept at spells ranging from the summoning of fearsome nightmare-like beasts to calling down violent thunder storms, to shaking the earth until stones cracked and mountains fell

Ferazi​
Library of the Arcane
- Not an official magic school per say; houses all of Seranto’s collected books and scriptures related to the magical arts
- No formal school ever established so as not to risk upsetting relations with Vaskaan
- “Rogue” magicians often give “secret” lessons to eager students in the depths of the massive library. A secret system of tunnels and caverns is rumoured to exist below the library as well where advanced studies are conducted
- Most lessons focus heavily on covert magic, useful when one is trying to get ahead in business: thought manipulation, disguising one’s appearance, creating illusionary objects, etc.
- Lack of a “formal” training gives Ferazi magicians a reputation as being not as powerful as those from the other kingdoms, and may lead many to underestimate their abilities

Well, got 3 responses so far, so here's a character sheet I whipped up.

Please message me with your characters instead of just posting it here. That way we can discuss any necessary points and I can make sure your character isn't some overpowered demigod or other similarly omnipotent entity.

-------------------------------------------

Name:

Race:

Nation:

Role/Job:

Notable Talents/Skills:

Magical Spells/Abilities:

Notable Flaws/Weaknesses:

Physical Description:

Psychological Description:

Items/Equipment:

Background:

Other:

-------------------------------------------

When I start getting characters I'll make a new thread for them.

Back
Top Bottom