Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Concerning Negativity In Request Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
06. Concerning Negativity In Request Threads
DO NOT DO IT! Please, no one wants to read negative comments in someone's request threads. It's rude and really destroys the fun and light-hearted atmosphere of the site. If you have a problem with your partner's lack of commitment, PM them. If they ignore you, just move on. This sort of thing happens all the time and has to pretty much every member at one point or another, if not several times over.

So again, if you have a problem along this vein, PM your partner making an inquiry. If they choose to ignore you, just move on because if you badger them too much, you'll be considered to be harassing said person.

Posting negative comments in someone's request thread will cause you to receive both a verbal and an official warning. So, again... DO NOT DO IT!

Well said, DA! We're all adults here. Let's raise the maturity level just a tad, especially us guys, and make this site one that feels welcome to new and old users alike!

Thank you, Dare. It's high time people realize that this is life. This sort of thing happens everywhere. And reacting childishly does nothing except perpetuate negativity and tension and that's something I do not wish to deal with when it's so easily avoidable.

No problem, DA :) I get tired of seeing the negativity too, especially when its rather childish to begin with. Since I can't slap them upside the head in real life, the least I can do is this ;)

*applauds lightly*

I'm glad to see that, Sin. You're not usually in that category and it was a surprise to see you there. You're a better person for apologizing.

darkangel76 said:
06. Concerning Negativity In Request Threads
DO NOT DO IT! Please, no one wants to read negative comments in someone's request threads. It's rude and really destroys the fun and light-hearted atmosphere of the site. If you have a problem with your partner's lack of commitment, PM them. If they ignore you, just move on. This sort of thing happens all the time and has to pretty much every member at one point or another, if not several times over.

So again, if you have a problem along this vein, PM your partner making an inquiry. If they choose to ignore you, just move on because if you badger them too much, you'll be considered to be harassing said person.

Posting negative comments in someone's request thread will cause you to receive both a verbal and an official warning. So, again... DO NOT DO IT!

I will of course obey the rules of the forum. This is a rule right, and not just a mod saying that they don't want to see it?

I will however say, that while I know it not meshing with a partner happens from time to time. I would like to see constructive, negative, criticism in the request threads.

If one person says something negative, then great ok. They got the wrong end of the deal. However, if ten do, then I know to stay away from that person.

I can't count the number of people that Ive started RPs with who said they were moderate to advanced, articulate writers who then posted their intro post and completely lacked any semblance of detail.

That kind of feedback is what I WANT to see in a request thread. My time is limited when Im on days on, and taking time to set up an RP, that is doomed to fail really sucks.

When I leave negative feedback I'm not doing it out of spite. Im doing it as a public service.

Sorry but being a jackass on the forums and in request threads gets you spoken to.

So yeah, it's a rule. Sorry, but one bad experience with an RPer doesn't give you rights to try and screw with their time on the site.

If you are gonna say something negative, say it in a PM. Don't spam their thread with it.

Grow up. Move on. Go RP.

Rules are never made without a good reason. I'm not the sort to just randomly do that. Ever. Ask anyone if you have any uncertainties, but I'm confident you will learn that what I'm saying is indeed 100% truth.

That out of the way, this is a place for everyone. People have varying levels of writing skill, time availability, interests, etc etc. Why should they be hindered from having fun due to a negative comment in THEIR thread. They didn't ask for it, nor should they receive one. Just like this is a place for everyone, not an elite few. So, if you have an issue with your partner, PM them and go from there. Negativity like that stays out of the req threads. If I or any of the global mods see it, consequences will fly.

And that's all I have to say on the matter.

I didn't mean to imply that you were not an unbiased moderator. Trust me. I know how the mod thing goes. I was once a paid moderator on a board with more than two million members. Though we didn't have the same liberties that you do here. Chalk the comment up to too much Patron.

That said. There is a difference between negative comments, and constructive negative comments. The latter are those that I want to see.

I am no English major, nor am I the greatest RPer out there. However, your (meaning the rule that the mod staff came up with, undoubtedly with permission of the site owner) essentially robs Peter to pay Paul. By not allowing constructive negative feedback you allow them to have their fun, at the expense of the more experienced writers.

I would not like to waste an expert, professional writer's time by trumping myself up to them, just to fail to deliver. If I did I would expect constructive negative feedback on it so other expert writers would know to avoid me so their fun wouldn't be ruined.

Which is exactly what happens when you disallow such feedback.

Yes, you could say that we should just talk to them in PM and let them know that they should better express their skill level when setting up an RP. But we all know that very few would do that. Which is why we need these checks and balances.

I don't really see the point if they won't give feedback. Spewing in someone's thread "They suck!" does nothing for anybody.

If you don't have something constructive to say, then shut the fuck up. It's pretty cut and dry.

It's an adult site and as such, be an adult. Not a prick.

It's constructive criticism and negative comments. There's a key difference.

This pertains to people openly harassing others in order to stop others from RPing with that person because they didn't get what they want.

Everyone has the right to RP here. How they go about it is their business, not your own. If you and a person you choose to RP with don't see eye-to-eye and clash when trying to RP, either say something or grow a pair and move on.

--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:

This, right here, is the key point. There's a HUGE different between negative comments and constructive FEEDBACK. There's no such thing as constructive negativity. Negativity is negativity.

If people gave constructive feedback, that would be one thing but they don't. In fact, they SHOULDN'T unless the person has asked for it...even though well intended usually, constructive feedback encroaches on a person's rights if provided unsolicited.

The bottom line is that RPing is a game; anyone that takes it more seriously than that needs to find another game to occupy their time. I get not wanting to waste your time on writers that you consider unresponsive or not very good but you can do that by checking their post counts usually. If you don't see a post count, you can always ask them for a writing sample before you agree to write with them. I've done that. RPing is a partnership so get as much information as you want/can up front if you must but don't get negative in a public way. You wouldn't want anyone to stand next to you in the hallway and scream at the top of their lungs that you smell. Just because its on the web doesn't change the fact that we should be civil adults about it.

I don't really see the point if they won't give feedback. Spewing in someone's thread "They suck!" does nothing for anybody.

If you don't have something constructive to say, then shut the fuck up. It's pretty cut and dry.

It's an adult site and as such, be an adult. Not a prick.

This pertains to people openly harassing others in order to stop others from RPing with that person because they didn't get what they want.

Everyone has the right to RP here. How they go about it is their business, not your own. If you and a person you choose to RP with don't see eye-to-eye and clash when trying to RP, either say something or grow a pair and move on.

This is the type of feedback that I agree shouldn't be given. Thank you for giving an example.

DareToDream said:

This, right here, is the key point. There's a HUGE different between negative comments and constructive FEEDBACK. There's no such thing as constructive negativity. Negativity is negativity.

If people gave constructive feedback, that would be one thing but they don't. In fact, they SHOULDN'T unless the person has asked for it...even though well intended usually, constructive feedback encroaches on a person's rights if provided unsolicited.

The bottom line is that RPing is a game; anyone that takes it more seriously than that needs to find another game to occupy their time. I get not wanting to waste your time on writers that you consider unresponsive or not very good but you can do that by checking their post counts usually. If you don't see a post count, you can always ask them for a writing sample before you agree to write with them. I've done that. RPing is a partnership so get as much information as you want/can up front if you must but don't get negative in a public way. You wouldn't want anyone to stand next to you in the hallway and scream at the top of their lungs that you smell. Just because its on the web doesn't change the fact that we should be civil adults about it.

Constructive criticism is by definition constructive negativity. Criticism is negative.

And I would be interested to hear what rights you think would be violated if they are given unsolicited constructive negativity.

Remember, you do not have the right to not be offended. You do not have the right to happiness, you do not have the right to be fulfilled. You do have the right to PURSUE happiness, and the right to speak your mind (though that is a right that can have consequences.)

Masterkegan said:
And I would be interested to hear what rights you think would be violated if they are given unsolicited constructive negativity.

Ok, so perhaps the word "rights" wasn't the best choice there. My point was that, unless they are asking for feedback, we shouldn't be giving any, especially not in a public way. If you think they need constructive feedback (and keep in mind that everyone's definition of "constructive" is different), then a simple PM to them asking if they'd like feedback would work. If they say no, then drop it; if they say yes, then give it in a civil manner. Simple as that.

Guess we posted at the same time so it's glitching on listing who last posted on the main page. Anyway, as I said, this topic is done now. Accept the rule. It isn't changing. Move on.

DareToDream said:
Masterkegan said:

Ok, so perhaps the word "rights" wasn't the best choice there. My point was that, unless they are asking for feedback, we shouldn't be giving any, especially not in a public way. If you think they need constructive feedback (and keep in mind that everyone's definition of "constructive" is different), then a simple PM to them asking if they'd like feedback would work. If they say no, then drop it; if they say yes, then give it in a civil manner. Simple as that.
I understand what you are saying, but do not agree with it. What you suggest is akin to catering to the few to spite the many.

Though it seems as if the general consensus here (all three or four that have posted) is leave it be. I disagree.

darkangel76 said:
Guess we posted at the same time so it's glitching on listing who last posted on the main page. Anyway, as I said, this topic is done now. Accept the rule. It isn't changing. Move on.

As I said before. I will obey the rule. But unless you are telling me to stop posting here when there is a response to one of my opinions, I will continue to respond to them in a respectful manner. However, I would ask that if you are asking me to not respond, that you do them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom