Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Role play reply quality

WexEm

Meteorite
I've been really interested in learning how to improve my writing and descriptions whenever i engage in role play. Since it's a semi social hobby where you do it with another person i think it's a matter of respect towards the other to provide the best quality you can, especially when you expect the same from them.

That being said, what makes a good reply for you?

From my perspective and current way of writing, i split them in action and reaction. Reaction being the character reacting to the others actions, and action being them continuing the plotline/interaction. i always try to answer the who, why, what, when, how questions, together with slight descriptions of the characters demeanor, gesticulations, minor actions and occasionally thoughts.

I suppose I'm more on the asking side as well. My background is in system games on other boards, usually where I'm the gamemaster. As a GM it's common to write a few paragraphs or a wall of text, because you're trying to explain the world and the details of what exactly is happening so the players can interact.

Player replies are often quite short however.

With a crunchy system you can easily have a bunch of one liners and dice rolls as you work through the mechanics of something.

However here the expectations seem radically different. One liners are all but a ban worthy offense. Three paragraphs seems to be a somewhat common target, and longer is often requested.

In particular I'm curious how people manage expectations of world building and godmodding. I'm guessing they're simply more relaxed than in system RPs, in terms of assuming what other players do, so you can do more in a post.

I'm not going to presume to speak for others on how they craft or view replies - I can only speak for myself.

That said...

When I'm crafting replies, I'll typically write 4-5 decent-sized paragraphs, and I tend to follow a rough format.

The first couple of paragraphs focus on what my partner has written - I use those paragraphs to address what they did, what their character(s) said or did, on what they've put in the environment and surroundings. My character(s) will respond to some or all of those prompts and cues. It (hopefully) shows my partner that I've read and comprehended their post.

From there, I'll move to move the story along. Within the confines of the scene, environment and/or conversation, I'll have my character act accordingly: advance the dialogue, interact with the environment, move objects around, that sort of thing. So long as I don't overstep the bounds of control, I may also intimate that my partner's character follows mine along if they're moving, or engages in an agreed-upon activity (although I'm not going to then presume to dictate how my partner's character will react or respond).

If my reply shows that I've acknowledged my partner's efforts AND given my partner something to work with, then I'm happy. I try to ensure there are no typos or grammatical errors, but I know I'm not perfect.

While I don't expect replies I receive to follow that line, it is good when I can receive replies I can respond "properly" (as I've noted above) to.

I'm not going to presume to speak for others on how they craft or view replies - I can only speak for myself.

That said...

When I'm crafting replies, I'll typically write 4-5 decent-sized paragraphs, and I tend to follow a rough format.

The first couple of paragraphs focus on what my partner has written - I use those paragraphs to address what they did, what their character(s) said or did, on what they've put in the environment and surroundings. My character(s) will respond to some or all of those prompts and cues. It (hopefully) shows my partner that I've read and comprehended their post.

From there, I'll move to move the story along. Within the confines of the scene, environment and/or conversation, I'll have my character act accordingly: advance the dialogue, interact with the environment, move objects around, that sort of thing. So long as I don't overstep the bounds of control, I may also intimate that my partner's character follows mine along if they're moving, or engages in an agreed-upon activity (although I'm not going to then presume to dictate how my partner's character will react or respond).

If my reply shows that I've acknowledged my partner's efforts AND given my partner something to work with, then I'm happy. I try to ensure there are no typos or grammatical errors, but I know I'm not perfect.

While I don't expect replies I receive to follow that line, it is good when I can receive replies I can respond "properly" (as I've noted above) to.
Very similar for me.

Acknowledge and work with what has been sent before moving the story along.

Around 4-5 paragraphs.

A mixture of behaviours/actions, feelings and speech, although the balance varies depending on the moment.

Back
Top Bottom