Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Your First Roleplaying Forum

Leonheart

I turned myself into a pickle!
Supporter
What was your first roleplaying forum?

I just remembered my first: FFVIII Kingdom Forums from 2004 where I first learned how to type and roleplay. The amount of posting and typing I did there helped me type faster and more accurately than school ever taught me. Now it's become a skill and an asset in my daily life as we continue into this world of advanced technology.

My first one was called "Shadows of Darkness" (i know wonderfull edgy name). It was a german Forum run by a small team. I was 14 at the time when i started writing there and hell i was bad. RP was only done in public threads and at one point the admins reached out to be why the hell i wasnt using a spellchecker and why i wasnt punctuation. So they asked me politly to go throw all my old posts and edit them for better spelling and to add punctuation xD That is now for me over 15 years ago and i remember it fondly xD

Beyond RPing with friends on Skype casually back in like 2013, I think the first 'real' RP's I had funnily enough were on Pokemon MMO-- and yes, it was not intended for Roleplays, but doing Pokemon Battles and having us simulate fights while we RP'd the dialogue in the chat section on there like we were making our own Pokemon game with OC's and stuff, gosh-- good times.

I USED TO RP ON OMEGLE. if i remember correctly, it was probably avatar the last airbender/legend of korra related.

my first official forum was probably rpnation when i was a minor. which btw, i wholeheartedly recommend for non-smut stories and made a lot of solid friends my age. the staff made sure everything was squeaky clean and i don't remember any creepy experiences there.

A forum for anime. I guess it still exists, but it's basically abandoned, and no RPing is happening there anymore. But it was fun a decade ago. Prior to that I had people to play with in person during high school and especially college.

Quite a variety of first time roleplaying mediums ^^ Seems many of us had the same experience from what I can tell thus far. I also RP'ed on RPNation which is what led me to this forum.

Technically the first roleplaying I did was on the Star Wars Combine back in 2003, I think. Though it was rather game-y, there were places for people to actually write. It took awhile for me to realize that I liked the actual writing more than I liked the game elements. But fond memories nonetheless.

I will always have to live with the shame that my first roleplaying platform/forum was rule34 forums... Wouldn't recommend it as a roleplaying place to anyone. Gladly I found some slightly better alternatives quite quickly, and after a while actually good places to roleplay where there were people looking to actually roleplay and not be total unhinged creeps (of course have to add that not everyone, but majority of people I interracted there fell into these two categories. Found one or two actually enjoyable RPs there).

Rpol for non adult RP, and then Darknest for smut RP. Rpol was mostly system games and some freeform.

Back in like 02 I joined a site dedicated to sailormoon fanfic, a sailormoon romance, and there I first began to dabble in rp. Later on I followed some friends over to gaia and the guild system there.

I remember Gaia ^^ What's awesome about a lot of MMOs these days is they house a good group of roleplayers.

I just remembered another one of mine around the same time as the forums I mentioned above: the Harry Potter official website forums around the time of the first movie ^^' It was the most basic setup for a forum with pure text and no PMing; you just had to hope that one person you wanted to RP with was on. No real request threads either. You just post a starter and see who comes.

My very first was Pokémon Showdown, which was very free form and one of the very first experiences I have writing.

Back
Top Bottom