Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What makes for a good request thread?

L1zaT

Super-Earth
At least for my part, there's a couple of things I wanna know when I click on a request thread.
1: What ideas/plots/ scenes.. etc do you wanna play out.
2: What's your writing style like, and what do you expect in a partner.
3: Any dealbreakers. Things that mean we wouldn't make for good writing partners/ things you'd like to include that aren't for me.

Now sometimes threads are.. not well formatted.. and either make that information hard to find, or don't include it at all. This isn't meant to be a callout to anyone or venting, everyone has their own preferences and ways of making a thread.

But I'm curious, what makes or breaks a req thread for y'all? Anything that makes you immediately click away without reading, or makes you more likely to reach out and message the person requesting (assuming the thread has rp of a sort you're looking for/ intertested in).

For me, personally,

I'd say a giant wall of text with no formatting of any kind.

If you can't do that on a thread, who's to say you won't do that in a story? Mind, I don't have an issue writing against a lot, but at least space it out and make proper paragraphs. But if it's just one giant wall with no breaks or anything, I click away faster than flies swarm to shit.

Makes:
— An overall friendly, or at least polite, tone/attitude. I like it when a request thread has some kind of personality to it, and it's nice to know that writing with the person will be a pleasant experience.
— Good organization. Being able to easily identify the sections of the request thread that go over the most important things (to me, at least) is essential; if I can't easily find the few things that would make me completely incompatible with the person, I'm less likely to dig for that information.
— Some level of site presence. Nothing against lurkers, but I like to be able to browse people's posts for more indication as to their writing style, their personality, etc.

Breaks:
— Constant negativity. I find I don't really jive with those who make RPing sound like more of a job than a hobby. Of course people are allowed to have their preferences and be strict about them, but I find I don't tend to be compatible with those who focus more on ghosting or not having searching success than the roleplays they do have.
— No indication of creativity. I can appreciate a simple request thread, but I tend to gloss over those that don't offer up anything more than writing preferences and quick pairings. I love to plot with my partners, and if I feel like I'll be doing all the work, I don't tend to get too involved or excited.​

I stick around when the posting requirements are relaxed. They'll wait a certain amount of days before inquiring, but they aren't setting the expectation that they need a reply every single day. Being willing to try new characters and being up front about their inexperience with one is also a major plus. Being willing to try something new tells me you're coming to work at it, and don't have the expectation that everything you try will be 100% accurate. I love effort, and hate limitations one sets for themselves. Speaking of...

I back out when a potential partner limits themselves to a certain amount of words. I don't get it, I never will get it. I understand a minimum word or paragraph count they always wish to meet, but if they state they have a maximum amount they're willing to write and will never seek to go beyond it if they have enough content, nah, I'm good.

If the experience is OC x OC but they're choosing my character's face claim and personality traits without my input, that's also calling for me to back out immediately. If I can't choose your face claim and personality traits, don't choose mine for me.

If you ask for canons but won't play any in return, also out.

A massive wall of text without any pairings or plotlines to build something from--specifically when they say "bring YOUR ideas", I'm usually out by that point too. I need more than a list of kinks and an expected posting schedule. Share some ideas so a potential partner can come prepared to discuss something. Don't make someone guess.

It's finding the Goldilocks for two things; formatting , making a RT is such a simple thing but also so difficult to do as there's no one right way to do it but lots of things that make life harder. tiny text poor choice of colours
Using
too
many
spoilers

Why am I going to wade through that mess in the hope that something might pique my interest?

And also getting the Goldilocks zone for plots, so there's enough information to spark an interest but not so much that it feels like the story has already been written,

What I like;

* A list of plots and/or themes and character types the person likes to play. I prefer actual plots and themes and just a list of character combinations doesn't always say much.
* A sense the person likes plot and character development or they are at least honest about just wanting smut which is fine.
* A sense the person can articulate themselves in writing.
* Plot ideas that are a little different,enough with the forced/arranged marriages and mafia!

What I don't like;
* Tiny text or font colours that are hard or impossible to read.
* Faceclaims that look nothing like what their character is described to be like. I have seen people use 20 year old Playboy models as faceclaims for middle aged housewives.
* A riot act of rules and regulations that you are expected to follow if you want to play with them.
* Walls of text without paragraphs.
* No plot ideas which makes me think I will have to come up with everything.

The related question I have is do any of the "requests by males" threads actually get interest?

The way this forum works you can't really tell if someone has tons of interest, or if they get none and simply continue to forlornly bump their thread.

However I have run across someone writing about how they have RTs in male, female, and non binary, and the female thread got orders of magnitude more interest than the other two put together. But that could be just them.

The related question I have is do any of the "requests by males" threads actually get interest?

The way this forum works you can't really tell if someone has tons of interest, or if they get none and simply continue to forlornly bump their thread.

However I have run across someone writing about how they have RTs in male, female, and non binary, and the female thread got orders of magnitude more interest than the other two put together. But that could be just them.
I've had the 'forlornly bump thread' experience and mine are all in the requests by females. I can imagine those generally get more attention, but I think it also depends on the ideas, some are more niche than others and will get less attention.

I've had the 'forlornly bump thread' experience and mine are all in the requests by females. I can imagine those generally get more attention, but I think it also depends on the ideas, some are more niche than others and will get less attention.

I'd believe FxF players like you might have all the problems the guys do and then some more.

Back
Top Bottom