Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Looking For Some Advice

Toggler

Meteorite
Hello, I've never participated in one of these forums before. To be honest I feel a tad nervous. I feel like there's a good deal of jargon and norms of conduct that I'm just not familiar with. Furthermore, I'm worried that I won't be able to find exactly what I'm looking for. However, I am also quite excited to begin. If anyone could give me some advice about how to proceed, I would be grateful. Thank you for your time.

Hi! :)

A few tips and suggestions, hmmm...?
- Cast your eyes over the rules of the site, and be at least passingly familiar with them. You should have gotten links to them in your Intro thread...or you will do shortly, when a member of the Welcoming Committe replies - keep an eye out for them! (Basically, though...the rules all boil down to "Don't be a dick". ;) )
- Don't rush in. Take your time reading over request threads to see what other people are doing, and get an idea for what's out there in the community (pretty much everything, I'm sure).
- Have a stab at a few of the OOC threads, such as the Forum Games and the General Discussion topics (the former won't add to your post count, though). They're a good way to get a feel for some of the folks here, and get an idea of what the community is like in general - by and large we tend to be a reasonably welcoming bunch. :)
- When you're up for it, post a request thread of your own in the forum(s) that best suit your style and preferences. Hopefully by looking over other RTs, you'll have at least a vague idea for how you want to set your own out.
- Be patient when asking for writing partners (either through your own thread, or responding to others). You likely won't get a hit right off the bat. Hang in there, and that Special Partner will happen...but it could take a while.
- Lastly...ask questions! You won't learn anything if you don't ask!

Hope that's a reasonable starter for you!

Hello, I've never participated in one of these forums before. To be honest I feel a tad nervous. I feel like there's a good deal of jargon and norms of conduct that I'm just not familiar with. Furthermore, I'm worried that I won't be able to find exactly what I'm looking for. However, I am also quite excited to begin. If anyone could give me some advice about how to proceed, I would be grateful. Thank you for your time.
Hi Toggler, and welcome to Blue Moon! Sync already gave you some wonderful advice above, but I just wanted to add my own two cents:

— Don't overwhelm yourself. If you're just starting off in forum RP, things can look kind of crazy at first. BMR is a friendly site that's easy to jump into, but since there's so many prospective stories available, it can be easy to take too much on when you first start out. I recommend dipping your toes in to a few stories before going all-in and taking on everything you can find. Don't be afraid to be polite but picky!
— The golden rule is the biggest one you need to know — aside from Site Rules, of course! ;) Treat others with respect and you will get it back, and if you run into any unsavory situations, know that staff is here for you.
— Ask questions! Any of us staff members is happy to help a newbie get acclimated; once you get private message access, you're welcome to reach out to me at any time. I love helping new members realize what BMR has to offer.
— If you're worried about terminology or general site conduct, the Site Rules are a great place to start, but I also love the Help Desk (which goes over everything you could need to know about getting started on BMR), our FAQ (which compiles a bunch of questions we've seen a hundred times over), and the Acronym List I put together a while ago (which goes over commonly used acronyms and roleplaying terms).

If you need anything at all, feel free to ask! :)

Just be yourself and be polite and respectful!

Sure you'll be great :)

Hi! :)

A few tips and suggestions, hmmm...?
- Cast your eyes over the rules of the site, and be at least passingly familiar with them. You should have gotten links to them in your Intro thread...or you will do shortly, when a member of the Welcoming Committe replies - keep an eye out for them! (Basically, though...the rules all boil down to "Don't be a dick". ;))
- Don't rush in. Take your time reading over request threads to see what other people are doing, and get an idea for what's out there in the community (pretty much everything, I'm sure).
- Have a stab at a few of the OOC threads, such as the Forum Games and the General Discussion topics (the former won't add to your post count, though). They're a good way to get a feel for some of the folks here, and get an idea of what the community is like in general - by and large we tend to be a reasonably welcoming bunch. :)
- When you're up for it, post a request thread of your own in the forum(s) that best suit your style and preferences. Hopefully by looking over other RTs, you'll have at least a vague idea for how you want to set your own out.
- Be patient when asking for writing partners (either through your own thread, or responding to others). You likely won't get a hit right off the bat. Hang in there, and that Special Partner will happen...but it could take a while.
- Lastly...ask questions! You won't learn anything if you don't ask!

Hope that's a reasonable starter for you!
As another newbie this is very handy

Back
Top Bottom