Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

THE BLUE MOON TOURNAMENT

Acid Jester

Planetoid
COME ONE COME ALL! INTRODUCING THE...
cooltext448005823413818.png

The idea is simple;

A combat tournament that will take place on our dear Bluemoon Roleplaying community. Who is the best RP fighter in all of Blue Moon? ...well, we're not actually going to find out but someone can claim the title by winning this! ...and if it goes well we can run it back a few more times to make sure and give others the chance to claim it for themselves!

To ensure fairness and success, we'll have a handful of judges and a ruleset to keep things even and make it manageable! We are therefore also accumulating judges in order to make this as fair as possible. In an ideal world, we would love to have 5 judges in total so that 3 people can judge each fight without bias while allowing the judges themselves to take part in the tournament.

Fights would be judged in terms of the contents of the fight itself, but also legibility, rule adhesion, and timeliness of posts.

Now, before we go further, me and the two others who helped originate this idea were looking to see what level of interest we could accrue on this. In an ideal world, we would have 8 interested parties, or a multiple of that number so we can make it work and get a good bracket going.

We are leaving certain elements like the exact setting, expected power levels for characters, and the likes open to discussion so we can please the most people possible with the resulting affair.

Therefore, I am not only asking you whether or not you are interested in the idea, but also what kind of character you'd like to play in this kind of setting.

I hope to hear from you soon!

cooltext448006355021997.png

Cooltext was a nice touch. Well, obviously, both as judge and—if you can get enough judges—participant;
cooltext448006537791766.png

As far as characters are concerned, I admit having a preference for the "moderate power" scale, think characters that would feel at home in Street Fighter or similar fighting games as opposed to Dragon Ball Z or the likes.

Awesome to have you both! @Raku do you have any thoughts regarding the kind of characters/setting/etc we should go with for this RP?

That would depend on what’s allowed. Can things like saiyans or high powered dragonoids be played?

Well, that's what we're partly attempting to determine. I'm trying to get opinions from those interested so we can agree on an expected power level and things of that nature so that fights can be relatively equal. I'm hoping to have fights' results be based more on talent as writers and strategy than they would be about things like "which character is most powerful".

Going too powerful runs the issue of having too many options, making it difficult to balance or to put your opponent in a situation you can land a proper hit. I am fine with it though if there's something in place to prevent that.

Hey! I'm maybe interested, or maybe just interested in being a judge? I'm always curious about fighting scenes in RPs, but they rarely work out for me in stories unless we kind of script what happens ahead of time.

Reading through this, I thought one thing you could do to help balance it out is to have a somewhat strict format to the posts.

Like, each fight is 3-4 posts per competitor. In each post you take a hit from the other person and deliver a hit back at them (in retrospect, I guess the first posts would just be delivering a hit). Plus you get one dodge that you can use in any one of your posts. Then it's all about who writes a more compelling side of the fight.

Not a bad thought, Boujie. Frankly my thoughts were going in a slightly different direction with giving 10 posts a piece and not limited dodges, so in this way someone would have the ability to dodge if their opponent leaves them the opportunity to do so and you're not forced to just take your opponent's hits because you dodged early on. The idea would be to use your toolset and writing ability to put your opponent into a situation where they can't dodge and have to take the damage, so it's not just about describing the fight scene well, but also about taking advantage of the terrain and situation in a given match to try and force those blows that put you at an advantage and things of that nature. I'm, of course, flexible on this ultimately, but I think that would be the best way to go about it.

It would be grand to have a judge who is interested in only judging, though I would also love to count you as another interested party in the tournament itself, so whichever would be more than fine ^^

Might be best to wait until we have 8 or so interested so the potential participants can discuss and agree on a ruleset?

Hi, I might be interested. I'm not after glory or anything though lol. I guess I just want a new experience. It'd be nice to see some well written fight scenes. I'm writing a comic so maybe it'll help inspire ideas for battles in there.

It would be great to have you, and I hope it will indeed manage to inspire you. What kind of comic are you writing? Perhaps it could inspire things such as an expected power level for characters and the likes...

It's basically a modern fantasy/sci-fi universe. Demons, Aliens, God's, Magic, powered up humans, the works.

I just worry this'll be like one of those games where the kids make up bogus powers just to try and win the fight.

Oh, well, to avoid this I'm planning to incorporate character sheets so that everyone is cards on the table about what they have available. No "making up stuff as we go".

Guess I might as well post, being a silent partner in the plotting for this thus far. Character sheets would exist, though not sure if they'd be public, so that folks can't just do a new thing out of no where. And judges would need to review the characters to make sure they meet the power range agreed upon by the group.

To get discussion going, has anyone thought of locations they thought would be cool for a fight? Sure you have your traditional boxing ring or pit; but I've also done fights through a hotel, a beach, a concert and so many others almost two decades ago that I don't remember.

Who wants to fight atop a runaway train?

So my past experience with tournaments was there was typically an out of combat area where everyone can have some regular in character interaction, and then you'd be given a fight venue and that would be another thread.

Your willingness to engage with the non combat would determine how it feels to you. Now granted this isn't a sure thing for this as we've not yet established a meta narrative as to why the fights are going on; but I think it's likely to be a part of this.

I am interested as well! Both as a judge and as a fighter. I personally like the idea of a typical fighting ring, like a cage used for MMA, but changing it up would also be fun.

For the fighting, I think maybe it would be the most fair for people to state what they will TRY to do, but then the judges determine how successful it is, based on how realistic it is and how creative.

Happy to have you!

The issue with having the judges determine that post by post is that it risks the RP going to a crawl, which is why we're suggesting that we are going to go with judge determination at the end of a fight.

We did determine that fights will not include auto-hitting, but this means that every post you'll have to worry about establishing how you dodge and block your opponent's attacks before going forward with your next move.

Also, the problem with a ring MMA style is that based on the level of the characters that have been suggested that may be too small in scope, and how they use their surroundings would also be an interesting component of a fight.

I'm thinking we'll have to list up a few locations where fights may take place.

GUIDELINES SUGGESTION

Your first post should not contain an attack. At the start of a match you're predominantly establishing your starting position, and this is commonly referred to as a "stance post".
Both fighters post their stance post, which serves to let their opponent know what weapons they have equipped, how they are holding them, and the general opening positioning of their body.

The stance is important to the judges because it gives them some vital information that they will keep in mind while going over the spar, like each fighter's size (which may come into play at some points if there is much of a disparity), what weapons will be used, if any armor or protective clothing is worn, etc. In the event of a fight at a higher power level, abilities like the capacity to breathe fire, shoot lasers, and the likes should also be made known so as to avoid ass-pulls. Character profiles can make the description of arsenals not be as necessary, which may be preferable as it'll avoid each starting post being an exercise of repetition during a tournament.

Your stance should have a purpose. Think carefully about how you would set yourself up before a serious fight, where are your hands, where are your feet, how is your torso aligned, how are you holding your weapon, what is your intent with the weapon (think ahead to whether you have first attack or first defense as these should influence your set up). Clarity and detail (two words you are going to get awfully sick of hearing) are key. Conciseness is also important- in a serious fight, leave out any flowery description, or any unnecessary comments- they often only serve to annoy the judge who is trying to read the fight and give a verdict based on all the elements therein, which is not a good thing. Focus on saying what you need to say to let the judge see your movements- this is not the time to be concerned about how sexy you look in your tight leather pants if you want to be taken seriously, by your opponent and by the judges.

A good stance post, should contain:
1. Height

2. Weight

3. What you're wearing (brief description of any relative items)

4. Weapons on your person, and this part should include:

-Type, relative description (overall size, size of blade, single/double-edged, etc.)

-Where on your person (you can have hidden weapons IC, but OOC in the description they must be stated, example: "2 six-inch long double edged daggers hidden in their left boot")

5. How are you holding the weapon (if you are), which may include:

-Grip (over/under hand)

-Always include your hand's position relative to your body, and the weapon's position in your hand (Example: "Holding her knife in her right hand, her thumb near the hilt, she positions her right hand near her heart, the single-edge of the blade facing her right, the point aimed at [opponent's name]'s heart.")

6. Position of your feet/legs:
-How far apart?

-Orientation (which way are your toes pointing?)

-Knees bent, straight, outward pointing or inward?

7. Position of your torso:
-Facing opponent square on, or turned to side (state which way they're leaning if applicable)

-Straight up or slightly bent at waist/crouched?

8. Distance from opponent (feet? Paces? Generally a pace is equal to 3′) This would generally be left for the second poster to determine, as its poor sportsmanship to make assumptions about the other's character and their location without giving them the chance to describe it.

– Clarity is of vital importance. Be concise, and leave out any flowery description that is not necessary for the judges to judge the fight. Judges will appreciate a clean, concise script without any unnecessary detail.

– Focus on the positioning and movement of your body, your weapons, and movements, and describe in as much detail as possible to show the judges and your opponent what you are attempting as clearly as possible. If they can't understand or see what you're doing, it can lead to confusion and point deduction. Also, if they deem it to be unrealistic in the context of the given RP's rules, they will disregard it.

– Get used to clarifying directions such as left and right, and specify "[my character's] left", or "[my opponent's] left" when applicable. Be as specific as possible about this.

– Also, describe the intended path of your attacks, left/right, up/down, diagonal, counter clockwise, clockwise, etc. as well as the intended effect you want to happen ("hoping to nick their chest and draw a bit of blood" vs. "aiming to plunge the blade into their chest and puncture their left lung").

– Always keep stated distance from your opponent in mind. Try to state each post how far away you are from them, and be realistic in what you attempt in regard to that (for example, a punch thrown at 1 foot away is likely to land, but a kick thrown that close might not be as effective as you don't have as much room to maneuver, the average leg being about 2'6" to 3' long.) Keep the length of your weapon and your reach in mind as well.

– It's a good practice to try to use your strike to reset your weapon at the end of your post. This can be tricky, because if you try to do too much, it will be tossed out. Something like using the momentum of your swing to follow through to bring it back into defensive position is what you're aiming for, or bouncing it off of your opponent to reset it, but what you're going for is being able to say where your weapon ends up so that you're ready for an effective defense/attack for your next post, as judges will keep the position you were in at the end of your previous post in mind.

– Follow the battle closely and check your last post and your opponent's last post before posting your next. You want to build on what's just happened, and to do that you have to know where your weapons and limbs are according to your last post, and also where your opponent's weapons and limbs are, as well as your body positioning and theirs, and the current distance between you.

– Don't worry about time limits at first. Concentrate on a simple, clear, realistic post. Don't worry that it's not fancy or wordy enough, focus on one good defense, and one good attack. Starting off, your main task is to learn to describe how your body moves, now your weapon moves- in a simple, clear, realistic fashion. Once you get that down, the rest will follow.

– Never get angry or argue with a judge about a deduction or a judgment. If you disagree, do so politely, and discussion can take place. There's nothing wrong with asking a judge for further clarification on why they deducted, judges should be glad to offer more feedback. Read the judge's comments carefully, this is the best way to learn. If you're not sure about something, ask for clarification. But keep in mind that judging is a lot of work (I've tried my hand at it and it took me about 2 hours to judge one fight with ten posts total), and the judge is doing it for your benefit. Starting a pissing match with a judge just because you don't like the outcome is a great way to come off as an ass and get yourself removed. We're trying, ultimately, to have fun and to improve our role-playing and description skills.

GUIDELINES SUGGESTION
Your first post should not contain an attack. At the start of a match you're predominantly establishing your starting position, and this is commonly referred to as a "stance post".
Both fighters post their stance post, which serves to let their opponent know what weapons they have equipped, how they are holding them, and the general opening positioning of their body.

The stance is important to the judges because it gives them some vital information that they will keep in mind while going over the spar, like each fighter's size (which may come into play at some points if there is much of a disparity), what weapons will be used, if any armor or protective clothing is worn, etc. In the event of a fight at a higher power level, abilities like the capacity to breathe fire, shoot lasers, and the likes should also be made known so as to avoid ass-pulls. Character profiles can make the description of arsenals not be as necessary, which may be preferable as it'll avoid each starting post being an exercise of repetition during a tournament.

Your stance should have a purpose. Think carefully about how you would set yourself up before a serious fight, where are your hands, where are your feet, how is your torso aligned, how are you holding your weapon, what is your intent with the weapon (think ahead to whether you have first attack or first defense as these should influence your set up). Clarity and detail (two words you are going to get awfully sick of hearing) are key. Conciseness is also important- in a serious fight, leave out any flowery description, or any unnecessary comments- they often only serve to annoy the judge who is trying to read the fight and give a verdict based on all the elements therein, which is not a good thing. Focus on saying what you need to say to let the judge see your movements- this is not the time to be concerned about how sexy you look in your tight leather pants if you want to be taken seriously, by your opponent and by the judges.

A good stance post, should contain:
1. Height

2. Weight

3. What you're wearing (brief description of any relative items)

4. Weapons on your person, and this part should include:

-Type, relative description (overall size, size of blade, single/double-edged, etc.)

-Where on your person (you can have hidden weapons IC, but OOC in the description they must be stated, example: "2 six-inch long double edged daggers hidden in their left boot")

5. How are you holding the weapon (if you are), which may include:

-Grip (over/under hand)

-Always include your hand's position relative to your body, and the weapon's position in your hand (Example: "Holding her knife in her right hand, her thumb near the hilt, she positions her right hand near her heart, the single-edge of the blade facing her right, the point aimed at [opponent's name]'s heart.")

6. Position of your feet/legs:
-How far apart?

-Orientation (which way are your toes pointing?)

-Knees bent, straight, outward pointing or inward?

7. Position of your torso:
-Facing opponent square on, or turned to side (state which way they're leaning if applicable)

-Straight up or slightly bent at waist/crouched?

8. Distance from opponent (feet? Paces? Generally a pace is equal to 3′) This would generally be left for the second poster to determine, as its poor sportsmanship to make assumptions about the other's character and their location without giving them the chance to describe it.

– Clarity is of vital importance. Be concise, and leave out any flowery description that is not necessary for the judges to judge the fight. Judges will appreciate a clean, concise script without any unnecessary detail.

– Focus on the positioning and movement of your body, your weapons, and movements, and describe in as much detail as possible to show the judges and your opponent what you are attempting as clearly as possible. If they can't understand or see what you're doing, it can lead to confusion and point deduction. Also, if they deem it to be unrealistic in the context of the given RP's rules, they will disregard it.

– Get used to clarifying directions such as left and right, and specify "[my character's] left", or "[my opponent's] left" when applicable. Be as specific as possible about this.

– Also, describe the intended path of your attacks, left/right, up/down, diagonal, counter clockwise, clockwise, etc. as well as the intended effect you want to happen ("hoping to nick their chest and draw a bit of blood" vs. "aiming to plunge the blade into their chest and puncture their left lung").

– Always keep stated distance from your opponent in mind. Try to state each post how far away you are from them, and be realistic in what you attempt in regard to that (for example, a punch thrown at 1 foot away is likely to land, but a kick thrown that close might not be as effective as you don't have as much room to maneuver, the average leg being about 2'6" to 3' long.) Keep the length of your weapon and your reach in mind as well.

– It's a good practice to try to use your strike to reset your weapon at the end of your post. This can be tricky, because if you try to do too much, it will be tossed out. Something like using the momentum of your swing to follow through to bring it back into defensive position is what you're aiming for, or bouncing it off of your opponent to reset it, but what you're going for is being able to say where your weapon ends up so that you're ready for an effective defense/attack for your next post, as judges will keep the position you were in at the end of your previous post in mind.

– Follow the battle closely and check your last post and your opponent's last post before posting your next. You want to build on what's just happened, and to do that you have to know where your weapons and limbs are according to your last post, and also where your opponent's weapons and limbs are, as well as your body positioning and theirs, and the current distance between you.

– Don't worry about time limits at first. Concentrate on a simple, clear, realistic post. Don't worry that it's not fancy or wordy enough, focus on one good defense, and one good attack. Starting off, your main task is to learn to describe how your body moves, now your weapon moves- in a simple, clear, realistic fashion. Once you get that down, the rest will follow.

– Never get angry or argue with a judge about a deduction or a judgment. If you disagree, do so politely, and discussion can take place. There's nothing wrong with asking a judge for further clarification on why they deducted, judges should be glad to offer more feedback. Read the judge's comments carefully, this is the best way to learn. If you're not sure about something, ask for clarification. But keep in mind that judging is a lot of work (I've tried my hand at it and it took me about 2 hours to judge one fight with ten posts total), and the judge is doing it for your benefit. Starting a pissing match with a judge just because you don't like the outcome is a great way to come off as an ass and get yourself removed. We're trying, ultimately, to have fun and to improve our role-playing and description skills.
I like!

Back
Top Bottom