Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Opinion on doubling

Freelancer

Planetoid
Just curious to hear what some other users think of the idea. First off, let me say that I despise how many definitions there are for the term. "Doubling up on characters," "doubling on stories in the same universe," "trading stories you're craving."
In my opinion the latter is the best definition for the term, everything before that being multi-character roleplay instead imo. So, what we're talking about here is craving for craving. I absolutely love the concept, because you get your own idea, and you also get to explore someone else's deepest interests you get to explore with them as well! The one thing I find disappointing with most people who are doubling though is the fact that 99% of those writers still don't wanna go beyond their personal interests/limits. Like, I get being against underage stuff, since I don't wanna do that myself for ethical reasons, but anything else? I'd love to just let loose! Most of the time people are looking to double for the reason of not finding any takers at that, so I expect weird shit to come from it, but even if it's not that unusual and just a drag to find someone for, I'm simply in love with the concept! Both are happy with what they get, no compromises need to be made, and hopefully both are happy to do someone else a favor as well! Anyway. If you're a passionate writer and love doubling at that, you're cool in my book ✨

Limits are limits for a reason. Some people have tried it and found out it's not for them and others are just not interested or repulsed by them. I don't think there should be an expectation for others to dismiss their own limits for the sake of having their own cravings fulfilled. And in my own experience, if I'm not personally interested in an idea, it's much more likely to fall apart after a while, if it even takes off to begin with. So I think it's better if people just align their interests, even for doubling. It makes for a much better experience overall if both parties are enthusiastic about a roleplay rather than it possibly feeling like a chore to do it.

I rarely double myself, but I will do it from time to time, and it can be fun. I do think it's a great idea for those who like to do it. Just, you know, so long as everyone involved is comfortable with it.

I honestly have never found doubling to be satisfying in my experience. While I am sure it works for some people, every time I have tried I feel that each of us is not as passionate about the other's story as we should be. Maybe it felt like the other writer was just going through the motions to get to their story, or maybe it was because I was unfamiliar with the character or theme they wanted me to write as.

I think when neither of us has a plot we are interested in it is always best to meet in the middle. To come up with a plot we like together instead of saying 'if you do X I will do Y.' In my experience the doubling request hasn't been from odd or unique kinks but because there is a certain scenario or character they are craving. If you can't match the plot, character, or setting, they have in their head then they will lose interest in the story. That is why it is best when we can come up with a plot together so we both know what we are looking for instead of hoping just to please our partner.

doubling only works in the long term if you're interested in the other person's characters and stories, and since a vast majority only want to fulfil their own craving and see doubling as an easy way to get what they want while half-assing their partner's story, it's not often a worthwhile experience. a lot of the time, the partner is the exact same way— or, in my case, sensing how little your partner cares about your story causes you to lose interest in theirs as well, and then it falls through because neither of you are getting what you want. that's why, lately, i'm kind of leaning more into original stories, or at least trying to.​

I have a background in TTRPGs and I'm now taking my writing a bit more seriously. I don't view doubling as too different from running NPCs. Given I've grown more accustomed to "shifting perspective" I can do it, I just don't want to see my efforts unnappreciated.

Not everyone can hit "be a cast" unto themselves, but if I'm creating for/with others I want to at least have the effort recognized. The best way to do that is to be active, give feedback, and engage in a game. Respecting the limits of my ability is also important. Just becaure I can create characters that have a different mindset than my own, doesn't mean I won't get mentally exhausted with a character(or character type). That also means I can't simply play against my prefered types at will forever. Big takeaway is that I am flexible, but have breaking points.

I would rather have one story where both writers are happy with than two where each has to begrudgingly appease the other.

I don't normally double, but if my partner and I write really well together and the stories are not similar, I will do it. I have not had a bad experience.

I almost exclusively double! Genuinely, I love it. The best RP I ever wrote was when I played one half of a hero and villain couple, and then each side of the roleplay conspired against the other characters. It was magnificent. In a situation where both sides interact, it can make the world feel so much more robust.

Doubling also scratches a creative itch where I get to write characters I wouldn’t have otherwise chosen. For me, personally, it makes me a better writer.

I understand the criticisms of doubling being transactional, but I would argue writing with a partner in any capacity is also transactional. Of course, I’d never demand someone double, which is why being direct and upfront with roleplay requirements is the best way to be a good partner, IMO.

The definition for doubling from my understanding is that, in fandoms, people offer to rp in the same fandom with a pair their rp partners want to do in exchange for the pairing that is requested.

Yes, it's deemed as transactional for people (most rps are) but if you give a clear definition of what you mean by it and offer who you can write as in exchange or willing to try then it's also more enjoyable. Like, some fandoms I'm into, I'm willing to write anyone. Those that I know that I cannot, I list who I can. But it's been a definition I've seen only used for fandoms and not as a "rp anything" exchange. Not saying that you can't use the term for that just it's been only ever really used for fandoms. But there's also no set definition across the board so it's okay if someone means a "free for all for both parties" or whatever but specify it in your post.

I genuinely enjoy the doubling that I do because I made sure my definition of it is clear and haven't had any issues with it on my end. Sure, you get your bad apples now and then but that's something that happens now and then.

Last edited:
To me doubling can also mean playing the same character twice in separate roleplays with two different partners. Depending on the characters and idea it can be interesting to see how each individual roleplay goes.

I think if there is genuine mutual interest than it works well but if it is just as a means of each person getting a partner for their own story than it probably isn't going to work too well.

Back
Top Bottom