Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Are you addicted to roleplaying?

Makemyday

Planetoid
Must you roleplay all the time? Can you take it or leave it? Walked away from it, only to come back begging for more?

What are your thoughts and feelings on the subject?

What makes roleplaying unique is that a massive amount of the pleasure comes not while I'm actually sitting there typing. In fact, the writing itself is downright painful.

The pleasure is having this little reality bouncing around in the back of my mind 24/7 in between replies, thinking of all the ways it could go.

In some ways roleplaying is anti-addictive, bc it takes so much damn effort. But it's daydream fuel.

I'm addicted to the escapism. I also genuinely love to write and dream up little worlds and people. :)

I also love the escapism of roleplaying and the way I too have the story going over in my mind throughout the day as I decide what my reply will be.

I don't think I'm 'addicted' to it. It's a hobby I enjoy, but also one I can take a step back from to do other things. I would consider it an addiction if I did things like shirked or eschewed more important things I need to do, to RP instead.

No. I would not enjoy it if I had to do it all the time. It's a fun hobby I like to do when I have the chance. Real life is always more important than roleplay. As much as I like to write, I'm not going to put it ahead of what's happening in my life.

Not really.

It is a fun hobby to engage. I wouldn't do it otherwise, but I wouldn't be able to do it constantly. Creative-juices and muse tend to be flaky and all that stuff.

Also hypothetically: If I had to give up on one of my hobbies for whatever reason roleplaying would easily be the one to go. When pitted against my other hobbies it has much more downsides and the time I put on it is rarely rewarded when compared something like guitar-playing (maybe not fair to compare solo-hobby to a partner/group effort, but anyways), so far from addicted, but still enjoying it and wish to keep it as my hobby for years to come.

Forum writing rp, no. At times I doubt if I even enjoy it beyond the plotting and world building.

Now table top role playing games, yes. That hits all the thrills of writing for me without feeling exhausted for writing a post.

I used to be addicted (comes with the territory of having done this since I was 12) but with work and real life obligations, this isn't as fun anymore. I like reading completed stories, but also wishing I finished mine is a big heartbreak.

Addicted is a strong word. However, I'd say I'm committed to roleplay. It has been my main hobby for many years now, and I don't see that changing. I always want creative and passionate writing in my life.

Back
Top Bottom