Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Email lag time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper

Banned
Banished
I've noticed there is aproximatesly 7 minutes between when the notification forsomething happens and when you receive the email stating you have recieved a pm or somone has posted in your thread.

...and?

For $30 a year or so I could give Blue Moon its own ip and domain name to slightly mitigate that, but some people are always going to get delayed receiving.

No, pop3 isn't involved here at all. All communication between mail servers is done via smtp and Reaper is using a webmail account. pop3 and imap are client (your machine) to server protocols.

'sok though, e-mail is so retardedly complex for something that should be so retardedly simple someone needs a solid beating.

Since the mail queue processing here is nearly instantaneous - a minute during a bad hour - and we talk directly to the receiving servers it's not much of an issue on our end.

Basically, hotmail/live sees a flood of messages from our ip, says "o hai we're getting a lot of messages right now, we'll send it in a bit 'kay?" and sends a delayed message notification back to us. If it's really bad I'll get an e-mail from <!-- e --><a href="mailto:postmaster@hotmail.com">postmaster@hotmail.com</a><!-- e --> saying that the delay is going to be extra long (several hours).

If we had our own rdns-matching domain name to send e-mails to/from, we'd get placed in a separate queue from elliquiy and also get even more special treatment.

Honestly though? Whining about seven minutes?

Anyone who claims they understand e-mail is a fucking liar. The entire protocol needs burning with fire. Replace with something decent realsoonnowpleasekthx.

Vekseid said:
Anyone who claims they understand e-mail is a fucking liar. The entire protocol needs burning with fire. Replace with something decent realsoonnowpleasekthx.
Can we kill TCP/IP and replace it with something that was built with the entire world in mind while we're at it?

Trygon said:
Vekseid said:
Can we kill TCP/IP and replace it with something that was built with the entire world in mind while we're at it?

It was built with the entire world in mind. I point you to the fact that IPv6 exists, people are just slow.

Vekseid said:
Trygon said:
Vekseid said:

It was built with the entire world in mind. I point you to the fact that IPv6 exists, people are just slow.
Dah. Once again, your knowledge far outstrips mine.

Why is it as soon as something points out a question it is considered whineing? Vek stop spending s much time at elliquiy your getting stuck up.

Reaper said:
Why is it as soon as something points out a question it is considered whineing? Vek stop spending s much time at elliquiy your getting stuck up.

Me, getting stuck up? I wasn't before? This is news!

Reaper said:
I've noticed there is aproximatesly 7 minutes between when the notification forsomething happens and when you receive the email stating you have recieved a pm or somone has posted in your thread.

And this isn't a question.

I know you're slow, but bear with me - in English, we signal queries with a symbol known as the "question mark"
It looks like this:
?

It is located to the right of the period key on your keyboard, except you use the shift key when you press it.

It goes at the end of a sentence, replacing the period.

This concludes our English lesson for the day.

At least someone decided that TCP was better than UDP, imagine having to deal with that, or imagine if your machine didn't have a bottleneck as your NIC card slaps on your information, unless of course you're running BSD, and you fake your machine info -rolls eyes-

Honestly, if you pay attention when you are on the forums, you see it instantly up top , under your view posts, subscriptions, ect (depending on what area you look at for your items, pms or forums). You don't even need to see the e-mail reminder if you dont want to!

Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom