Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Tent to Themselves [FF4-Edge (bishhunterd)/Rydia (breeze)]

"I bet there's a safe haven right around--" Edge's boisterous claim was cut short as two more basilisks sprung out from around the corner of the cavern walls. With a couple of well-placed shruiken, the monsters lay dead, and for ONCE in the last two hours, Edge was actually right about finding a safe haven. Shimmers of blue-white light bounced off the damp, dark walls of the cavern deep in the underworld. The outcroppings of rock and pieces of crystal glowed and reflected the light.

"Now, milady," Edge said playfully to his traveling companion Rydia, "let's camp here for a while to regain our strength. I know you've been putting your black magic through its paces." The ninja took the tent he'd received from Cecil before exploring the cavern away from the three Baronians, pitching it in the middle of the mystical field which warded away the monsters who hid in the darkness. After pitching the tent, he dusted his hands and turned to face the young lady.

"I know the tent seems a bit small, but I assure you it will be quite comfortable for just the two of us." Though he wore a fabric mask over his nose and mouth, anyone could see the silhouette of a grin on the young prince's face. His words had never failed to swoon the young women of his homeland of Eblan. Now his sights were set on Rydia, the mystical Summoner from the lost town of Mist. Edge was glad that Cecil had sent them on this mission together. In the initial rush of joining Cecil's party, he had not had time to properly introduce himself to this magical girl. He knew that by charming her with his words and being confident in his body and his strength, she too would eventually fall to his charms.

Edge trained tirelessly to learn the secret arts that his mother and father, the queen and king, wanted him to master. The training showed as his bare arms had muscle clearly defined. He crossed his arms over his chest, drawing attention to his body, showing just how fit and strong he was. The lavender clothing he wore was the traditional garb of the commander of Eblan's army. It was very form-fitting, further accentuating Edge's attractive features.

With a courteous gesture, he allowed Rydia to enter their tent first as he went to start a fire for their camp.

"Oh, hey! What do you know! You actually found one." Rydia had lost hope and hour ago that they were actually going to find a magically protected area to take a rest. Her strength was dwindling. She had actually been thinking about asking Edge to carry her. She had good reasons behind it. For one, if they got hurt, she could heal them. That was reason enough for her strength to be preserved.

The girl stood with her hands upon her hips as she watched Edge assemble the tent. Her green hair fell down into her matching green eyes as she tilted her head. While she would of loved to have gone with Cecil, Edge was probably the second best. She thought she was strong enough to take care of herself but really, Edge was a lot stronger then her and a good person to have around.

At his comment about the size of the tent, Rydia only smirked at the sight of the grin hiding behind the fabric that covered the lower half of his face. "Right. I'm sure it will be just fine. If it does turn into a problem, however, you can just sleep outside of the tent. You would do that, wouldn't you? I'd give you a blanket, of course." She grinned back at him before stepping inside the tent, her boots being left right outside the opening.

Sitting inside the tent, pulling off as much clothes as she could get away with, she had to wonder what to expect. She hadn't actually had time to just relax and be herself with Edge. And he certainly seemed to be the ladies man type. She sighed at the thought.

Edge made his way to the tent's entrance, silently removing his boots and padding inside. "There we are," Edge said, softer but with the same cockiness he was infamous for. "We'll be so warm that we won't even need blankets!"

Edge caught a glimpse of Rydia, removing her bulkier outer garments, leaving just enough on to remain decent. His eyes grew wide for just a moment before he regained his composure and pulled the mask from his face, confirming the grin he wore. "I must admit, I'd love to learn more about you, Rydia. We've just met and I'm sure there's a reason you're fighting alongside Cecil and the others."

He sat cross-legged on the ground of the tent and set his kunai to the side before removing the lightweight armor he wore. A see-through, tight-fitting black shirt made from fine silk was the only thing left on the ninja's upper body. He breathed a sigh of relief, thankful for the break in all the chaos and battling.

"Mmm. I suppose it will be pretty warm given how little room there is." She was twirling a long strand of her hair around her index finger. She leaned back, laying down and sprawling out. She was suprised at how quickly she had become comfortable sleeping out in the wild, scary places. Though if she was alone, she guessed she wouldn't be so at ease.

So he was curious about her past. She frowned, thinking of the tragic events that had happened in the not too distant past. She really didn't feel like talking about it. She'd skip a few things. Her mother, for one. "My village was burned to the ground by Cecil's king. He felt horrible that he had been a pawn...and so he took me with him. I want to avenge my people. That, and Cecil saved my life. I'm proud to fight at his side."

She lay still then, her eyes closed. "Nothing much special about me, Mr. Edge." she mumbled.

"I don't know about that. You're stronger than I thought if you've been through all that. And, might I add, you are VERY easy on the eyes. I'm surprised that you don't have to fight off suitors more than you fight off Goblins," Edge joked. He couldn't help but think that Rydia was the prettiest woman he'd ever seen.

"None of the girls in Eblan could hold a candle to you. Plus, you're intelligent and can match wits with me. Pretty impressive if I do say so myself."

Edge grinned as he got a little more comfortable, laying on his side while he propped his head up on his arms. "And I truly mean that, milady."

Rydia was blushing, then. She really couldn't help it. Her pale cheeks were now stained an adorable pink. She was still young, she hadn't really had time as far as men went. Now that she was travelling with Cecil and everyone, that was probably the farthest thing from her mind. To hear him say she was attractive, well. It made her giddy. She wasn't sure she liked it.

"Thank you, Mr. Edge." she mumbled. "But really, don't make me out to be so wonderful." she laughed quietly. She did know that she held a sort of escotic look. But still, she didn't pay too much attention to her appearance.

She felt wrong not complimenting him back, so she did. "In Mist there were a lot of pretty people, and handsome men. But you, you're different. I didn't think men came like you. You're practically perfect." She smiled sheepishly toward him.

Edge did something he'd never done with any of the girls back home. He leaned forward and pushed a soft kiss to Rydia's forehead, smiling as he stared into the deep green eyes of the summoner. This time, it was different. It wasn't like the empty advances he'd made in the past. A strong feeling washed over the prince. He wanted to care for Rydia; he wanted to protect her. Most of all, he wanted to make her smile like she just did.

"Thank you, Rydia," Edge purred. "I'm so very happy you feel that way."

The temperature in the tent felt like it had climbed all by itself. In the back of his mind, Edge also wanted to show Rydia things that she couldn't learn from a spellbook or in the Feymarch. He tucked the thought away in the back of his mind, not wanting to scare Rydia before he had a chance to connect with her. Despite that, the thought grew little by little. To Rydia, however, Edge looked calm. The ninja once again thanked his training.

He kissed her forehead and now her entire body was blushing. She felt absurd. People did that all the time. It was a gesture you gave to show affection, usually to someone younger. Rosa did it all the time. But this was different. The way he was looking at her was just...different. What could he have been thinking just then? Did he really like her?

Instantly her mind fluttered away to things that they should of, and her blush deepened. For one, he wouldn't. He said she was beautiful, but would he really act? No, she didn't think he would. And if he did she'd probably make a complete idiot out of herself. She had no idea what to do. She did her best to calm herself down, shifting and wiggling nervously.

A smile spread over her trembling lips and she nodded. "We should get some rest." she said quietly. "I mean, we'll have to wake up eventually and get on our way." Though really, she would of enjoyed just staying in the tent with him.

"You're right. We have to continue on, and fight through the rest of this cavern until we meet back up with the others," Edge replied, but then put his strong, warm, masculine hand on her shoulder to try and calm her nerves a bit. He continued, "But I really like this. Just being able to sit and relax, even if it is only temporary."

A hint of playfulness flashed through the ninja's dark eyes. "Who knows," he chuckled, "the others may be even more lost than we were. I have a feeling that we'll be at the meeting point well before them, so why not spend the time together?"

Edge traced Rydia's bare shoulders with just one finger. "It's so nice and warm here. You can't blame me for wanting to stay a little while."

He was making staying here sound even more tempting. Really, they were probably ahead of the others. They may of been lost a bit and unable to find a rest spot for a long time but because of that they had come farther then the others would of. Knowing that made her smile, feel a little more accomplished.

Rydia's eyes darted down to Edge's hand as he touched her shoulder. Despite how warm it was it caused goosebumps to raise up all over her skin. She shivered lightly before trying to relax again, looking back up at him with a light blush.

"I don't blame you at all." she spoke quietly. "I'd love to stay here for awhile, too." She offered him a smile but was shying away from his touch rather then becoming acustom to it. She couldn't help it, she held an attraction for him and it made things, well, akward for her.

Edge smiled faintly and moved his hand away from Rydia's shoulder. He could sense how timid she was. It was a bit unlike how she normally is - quite opinionated and unafraid to say exactly how she felt. The prince thought that she was experiencing feelings she'd never dealt with before - that would explain how quiet she's been ever since coming into the tent.

"It's okay, Rydia, dear," Edge cooed. "You know what? I'm going to tell you a secret that no one else knows. But you have to promise not to tell anyone, okay?"

Edge's smile was a genuine one. He wanted to act on his desire to make her feel comfortable and happy. He gave Rydia a little bit of room so that perhaps she'd feel a bit calmer. "There isn't a soul who knows this secret. I want you to know it because it'll help you relax."

It made her blush just know he knew how tense she was in this situation. She took a few deep breaths and calmed herself down instantly. She'd be fine. Smiling toward Edge she nodded quickly, leaning forward, expecting him to whisper said secret into her ear, even though they were all alone. Secrets and whispering went hand in hand, right?

"Do I have to tell you a secret in return or are you giving me this one for free?" she questioned with a little smile. See, it wasn't that hard to control herself and calm down. She shifted comfortably on the tent floor, curling her toes and waiting eagerly for him to tell her what it was he was keeping from the rest of the world. It'd give them a connection, she thought. Something for just them, and she liked that.

Edge leaned in, closing the distance between them slowly. That same confident smile stayed on his face as his lips came so very close to Rydia's ears. He allowed his hand to gently touch Rydia's hair, which sent the temperature in the tent up a few notches. The ninja's hand moved to cup Rydia's face as he confessed his one secret to her.

"Even with as much as I flirt and womanize, I've never actually been in bed with a woman," Edge whispered softly.

A small blush tinted his own high cheekbones as he pulled away a bit to smile at the girl who'd suddenly stolen his heart. The hand cupping Rydia's face withdrew with a few longing touches. He could feel a slight bit of trepidation having confessed his secret. He secretly hoped that Rydia wouldn't burst into laughter or ridicule him for the rest of the journey. If that were to happen, he'd have earned every time that Kain called him a fool.

"It's always fun to tease," Edge grinned, "but I feel like I shouldn't tease with you. You deserve more than that, Rydia," he said. He hadn't thought about the words; they simply spilled out, almost of their own volition. It's as if his sharp mind had dulled just a bit to let his heart do the speaking instead.

His hand in her hair, then on her face made her shiver again. Of course, it was a natural reaction to the touch and it wasn't a negative one, either. She felt like the normal her would of pulled away and plainly stated that he shouldn't touch a lady like that without asking, even if it was just a kind gesture. But right now, she didn't feel nearly as confident as she always did. She felt vulnderable beside Edge, but in the best possible way.

The secret, well, it wasn't something she had been expecting but given that it was Edge she should have. Her cheeks colored a little more and she simply looked back up at him, trying to collect some words and then speak them. She was surprised by his little confession...but at the same time, and for a reason completely unknown to her, she was very, very happy.

"That's good." she finally said in a tiny voice. "I mean, you're only suppose to go to bed with the person you care about most...and you flirt with everyone." She laughed softly before offering him a smile. Should she say she was a virgin, too? No, she could of guessed he already knew that. She just let there be a moment of silence, and it was more comfortable then she thought possible.

Edge's fears melted away with the summoner's smile. He returned it with his own, enjoying the amiable silence for a moment. Edge was pleasantly surprised at Rydia's reaction, and decided to press his luck a bit.

"I have another secret to tell you," Edge said, as he raised a finger in the air. "But, after this one you have to share one of your own. Is that agreeable?"

Edge could feel his heart beating a bit faster. He hoped that Rydia would agree, mainly because he wanted to tell her his next secret as soon as he could. If the summoner hesitated, Edge worried that he might just blurt it out loud enough to attract attention to the cozy tent. He stared at the tent floor for just a second, gathering his patience so that he wouldn't startle Rydia out of her current mood.

Rydia continued to smile at him, waiting for the silence to be broken though honestly she would of been just fine if it wasn't. She could of happily fallen to sleep looking into his eyes, his happy smile. But he did eventually speak again, catching her interest yet again.

Another secret. But this one was clearly more important then the last because this time he did want her to tell him one of her own in exchange. Laying there she tried to think of something to tell him. It depended on what he was about to tell her, of course. Maybe she could relate them somehow.

"Alright." she said, leaning in again, eagerness and excitment clearly there. "Tell me first, and then I'll tell you a secret, too."

Edge leaned in again, a bit more playful this time, and whispered, "The person I care about most is you, Rydia..."

He grinned and gently kissed her ear as he withdrew, letting her take in what he'd said. It was pretty deep, but Edge knew it to be true. He hoped that Rydia would at least accept it, and he dreamed that she felt the same way too. Despite his calm demeanor, Edge was quite nervous. He wouldn't let Rydia onto that fact, however. It had never been this way with anyone else.

He leaned back and stretched out, relaxing his body, pleading with whatever Eidolon was listening to help Rydia understand what he meant by his second confession.

Wow.

Okay, this was a little more shocking then his first confession. No, a lot more shocking. She'd frozen up at his words, eyes filled with confusion for a moment before completly blank and she drew back into herself and tried to figure out what exactly she was suppose to make of this. Lots of things were swimming through her brain, things she could say, things she wanted to ask. But she was unsure. About everything. But then, she loved risks. She took them all the time. If she just believed him, then...

Blinking a few times she turned her gaze back to his, a smile spreading across quivering lips. "I...I don't really know what to say to that, Edge." She admitted with a weak laugh before glancing away again, only to look right back. "Except that...that you have touched me more then anyone else since my mother died. We have a connection...and I think I care about you just as much as you care about me. That's my secret."

She hoped he wasn't just joking, because she was being as serious as ever, her brilliant green eyes filled with emotion. Emotion for him.

Back
Top Bottom