Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

DM'ing an Idea

AlluringEnigma

Wet Narcissist
Hello. So I'll start by saying that my experience DM'ing is limited. I've run a 5E campaign before, (yes this would be DnD based), but only once and only in 5E. I've played in 3.5 and Pathfinder as well, so in terms of the fundamentals, I'm fairly solid. That said, I do not play DnD for the statistical side of it. I don't powergame, I don't balance encounters around minmaxxed builds, etc. In essence, if you know the rules by heart and enjoy finding ways to exploit them, we aren't going to like each other as player and dungeonmaster. If you like finding creative, roleplay-based solutions to gain an advantage, we're gonna vibe.

In essence, the system will be 5E with tweaks to systems as I see fit. For example, persuasion checks are not going to be rolled when you're arguing with someone - you convince the character through dialogue or not. A persuasion check might be used to get a little extra out of them or squeeze another iota of info, but the system is secondary to the roleplay and I would expect that experience from me in general. The dice supplement the roleplay, not the other way around.

My personal DM philosophy aside, let's talk about other things that are going to be the mainstays of the campaign. Besides my (maybe) controversial DM style, I'm a strong subscriber to bad ends and at the very least, noticeable mortality rates. Characters won't be dying every fight or dungeon or something ridiculous, else it's hard to ever have weight to anything or attachment. I would say my philosophy mirrors Darkest Dungeon. Characters dying at some point is likely, but not frequent and always painful. I also intend for the bad ends to factor into the smut of the roleplay. Obviously, this is easier with female adventurers, but I have absolutely no problem with males being played either, there are plenty of ways to write that as well.

The campaign is not going to be short and rapid-fire, for a couple of reasons. First, my work hours are all over the place and barely consistent so I will do things at irregular times. Second, I'm just busy and I find things easier to manage when I can work at my own pace. I'm looking for players who feel comfortable posting 2 or 3 paragraphs as a standard. Less is fine when the situation calls for it, as is more, but that's sort of the sweet spot I feel.

I will now outline kinks that will and will not be included. Anything that isn't mentioned is on the table for discussion.

Kinks that I think just baseline have to be included for this implementation - noncon, bad ends, humiliation, roughness, violence. You get the idea, there can be vanilla sex but bad ends are a main reason I want to do this and so all the accompanying kinks are dragged with.

Kinks that I just won't fuck with - Furries, necrophilia, pregnancy (implied is fine but nothing beyond that), unrealistic proportions (like seriously D cups and 8 inches and normal muscles for the love of god) There can be others, just ask if you have a particular concern.

One last thing I'll add is that I'm not looking to run a Dragon Age-style plot. I like overarching threads, I'm cool with things recurring or not being one-off or having followups, but I have negative interest in having a Big Bad Guy and a world-ending catastrophe. If the group wants to play heroic characters, that's cool with me. If they wanna play mercenaries, adventurers, etc, cool as well. Just no prophecies or cataclysms.

OK, that's all my requirements out of the way. I will list some settings I enjoy, and beyond that everything is up for discussion. Message me individually, please don't clog the thread up. I'd like to coordinate the whole thing through Discord, regardless of whether the roleplay ends up being on there, just for readability's sake.

Potential Settings

Steampunk Anything (Yes this fucks with the 5E combat system somewhat, I'll work around it)
Fantasy (High or Low are both cool, obviously if we go Low Fantasy magic is a no-no)
Apocalyptic Fantasy (Particularly into the idea of running a world where the good guys lost and the world is run by either an evil or indifferent tyrant)
Politically-Heavy - The least combat-oriented of the aforementioned, I'd be down to try and run something based around Kingdoms and the like. Think War of the Diadochi for a historical reference, or Game of Thrones for a fantasy one.

Appreciate people who read all the way through this mess and who will have the patience to deal with my inexperience. That said, any and all levels of RP experience are welcome. I'm looking for a maximum of 4 players.

Back
Top Bottom